|Indonesia's Rifat Sungkar, driving a Libra Racing-prepared Mitsubishi Evo, gets four|
wheels in the air on the shakdown stage today at STPR. Photo credit: Tim White
- Summer has come to the Northern Tier in Tioga County, with weather forecast calling for hot and humid weather with a significant chance of thunder showers both Friday and Saturday. High temperatures will be in the mid-to-high 80s, with humidity above 80 percent. Spectators and workers have been urged to bring plenty of water and sun protection for viewing the rally.
- A couple of facts and figures about the organization:
With Waste Management, plus Citizens & Northern Bank and the Wellsboro Chamber of Commerce sponsorship of the event helping to defray overhead expenses, the STPR® Committee is able to offer the rally to the area at little or no cost to the community. Besides the 400 volunteers who work the rally – many of whom come in from out of town and use local services - another estimated 10,000 people come to the Wellsboro area either as spectators or workers for the various teams and their sponsors. The rally, promoted by the Finger Lakes STPR® Motorsports LLC committee, is chaired by Meridith Croucher, from Newark, N.Y. (Rochester area), and joined by a strong committee presence from local Wellsboro residents. STPR continues to be a multi-million dollar annual contributor to the economy in North Central Pennsylvania.
- We will keep track of the class leaders, the regional rally leaders, and interesting features as the rally unfolds; you can follow along with the following tools:
STPR Internet/Social Media Links
Official web site (schedule, entry list, results, updates) – www.stpr.org
Facebook - https://www.facebookcom/STPRRally
STPR® News and Announcements - http://news.stpr.org (press notes are here)
Twitter - https://twitter.com/stpr_rally
Flicker - http://www.flickr.com/photos/stpr/
Instagram – www.instagram.com/stpr_rally (hashtags #stpr13, #stpr)
Rally America - www.rally-america.com
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/RallyAmerica
Twitter - https://twitter.com/Rally_America
- Although the Rally America events, including STPR, is technically a blind rally (versus the weeks of practice allowed in World Rally), there have been significant changes that enable the competitors to be more prepared than ever. Yesterday, there was a practice stage, and today, there was a guided tour of the entire rally at slow speeds so the competitors can make notes as well as a “shake-down press stage” complete with full marshal, radio and safety coverage. Also, independently-generated stage notes are provided by the organizer as part of the STPR entry fee. Of course, except for Friday’s Waste Management stages (#1 - #3), all the stages are on public roads, and anyone could run them at any time (following all local speed and safety rules). And many of the STPR stages are the same from year-to-year, so experienced competitors have their previous rallies to build on. See our Flickr, Facebook Page and Instagram for photos.
- Subaru has just issued a fourth video in a new web-based series on its rally activity. Launch Control is a new web-series, released every other Wednesday, that follows Subaru Rally Team USA and the Subaru PUMA RallyCross Team throughout their 2013 race seasons. Here’s the link for all four videos.